Sunday, September 05, 2010

Blackhawk Films - Greatest Show on Earth

1
Blackhawk Films put out this collection of photos from the Cecil B. DeMille movie "The Greatest Show on Earth." That at least dates them to 1951 when the movie was made or 1952 possibly depending on when Blackhawk released these.

They are some of the smallest slides I have ever seen being less than 1" square in size. Considering the other sets of Blackhawk slides I have, this is also the poorest quality of slides. Some are crooked or chopped off which is very abnormal for their work. Also there is not a single marking on any of the slides to tell you what set they came from. The label on the box was printed on a typewriter.

So now, four days later, you can see the entire set in order.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
Thanks for posting the GSOE slides.
I think what you have here is a redo set from Blackhawk???
Originally this was a 35mm filmstrip that was produced by Audio Visual Guide as the first slides says. They produced film strips for schools. I purchased the filmstrip from them. I too was disappointed at the quality of the strip. The color was off, images were reversed. Since it was one of the first items in my GSOE collection, I was happy to have it.
The reason you think the slides are very small is due to the fact that 35mm film goes opposite of 35mm print film. I cut my strip apart and mounted them in 1/2 slide mounts. I also corrected those images the were reversed. I just put them in the slide mounts backwards.
I don't know when Blackhawk got involved but I believe the original film strip dates back to the 50's. I purchased mine in the early 60's.
I hope this clears up some of your questions.
Dom